Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Finding your voice

I was going to do a reverse engineer, but as it daunted on me.  There has been many conversations with different stages of writers that all have one thing in common....DOUBT!!
We all have heroes that we look up.  Either it be Stephen King, Clive Barker, or any other multitude of  authors, directors, Batman or what ever is your hero of choice. Yet some people try to be stupid little candle of what they are.  It doesn't matter how much you ask them a question....it's always the same.
I admire this person and I like this and that.  Yet it isn't who they are.  If you force something out of you.  It's not your voice.  You are trying to hard to be something that you are not.
Take it from me.
When I fell from what I call my own grace...from what I thought was this surreal version of what my life should have been.  I had my voice.  Till it was taken away.  For a long while, I tried to find my own voice by trying to mimic others.
Yet that isn't who I was.  It did take a special person to help me, even though I fought him.. Thinking he didn't know me well enough, but the problem wasn't him, but me.  I didn't believe in my own voice as a person and as a writer.
We as a writer don't need others to help find our voices.  We need to find it ourselves.  The first step in becoming the writer, director, producer, super villain, hero or what ever we want to become....we need to find our voice.
So how do we find it?? Search your soul.  If you can't write gore...it's because you probably you are not meant to.  Don't fight it.  I know my voice and it's a pretty scary one.  I can write with own voice, it took years to find it. 
The first step in becoming that unstoppable artist that lies within you is to find your own voice.  Yes, you can people you look up to, but remember that they are nothing but inspiration.  Don't be like them.  You can't be them.  WHY??? Because you are you!!  Not them.  You're voice is unique...and maybe someone will compare you to someone, but don't strive to be anyone but you.
Sit
Soul search
Write some pieces till you find what you would sound like.
Be yourself

Find your voice is not as easy as it may sound until you stop being other people and start being you.



Irenia Guajardo
~Hellz Writer~

No comments:

Post a Comment