Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Poetry interpretation

Okay last night there was some debate about my poetry among the house. It was sort of awkward that 4-people were debating about the interpretation of each poem in my collection, "Illuminations of the Soul/Obscurities of the Heart" Which in the midst of me fleshing out "The Devil's Hand" They needed clarification and even to the point, I had to read a couple of them to them....
So I explained to them that these poems are not your typical poetry.  Where the words rhyme and shit, but I am not that type of poet.  I am a story teller, plain and simple.  I told them that what I originally wrote about is....isn't what I am trying to force upon my readers.  Ha ha ha...I don't like forcing anything upon people.  But I want you to take my hand and go on a journey.  A simple journey where you discover what each poem means to you.  I could tell you what I wrote about, but what fun is that for the reader.
Each person can take a poem and create what it means for them.  Simple as that.  I may be the story teller....but these poems are not an exact story.  My interpretations is not what I am going after.  I want you, as the reader to take each poem and associate it with your own life.  There may be a song here that reminds you of an incident in your life...a person...a place...something to make it special.  For me, I took from other people's situations....my own...and wrote....just wrote it out.
It isn't a novel, short story or a novella...where the story is set...it is simple.  Follow the road map to the demented Wizard of Oz or what ever character, I have set up for you.  Granted, I will have an author's note describing certain shit.
For Example....Victor...though a made up werewolf character...but he is my embodiment of Trevor Thomas Murray.  Everything I loved about Trevor is in Victor.  Of course it doesn't stop there with my fictional embodiment of Trevor....there is more characters that are based on him.  I also have used other people that reality you can't do shit to in reality...but hell...you can have fun in fiction.  All those people that have angered me....made me happy...will some form or another be in my fiction.  I don't like you...well be prepared for a horrific death.  For those I do care about....and well let's say you end up being the hero that gives your life to save others...I will shed a tear for you, because you in fiction become a part of me....
One thing I do not want, is to force my own views on the poetry that I wrote.  I want people to interpret it the way you see fit.  That for me...makes me happy....very happy.  I want people to personalize this as their own.....I think that says it enough.  So go through these and find a poem...read it...and think of it the way you want to see fit....and not how I wrote it.

Irenia Guajardo
~Hellz Writer~

No comments:

Post a Comment